Camp Milton
Camp Milton (1862-1864) - A Confederate earthworks defense established in 1862, during the U.S. Civil War by General P.G.T. Beauregard at Jacksonville in Duval County, Florida. Named for Governor John Milton, the U.S. Civil War confederate governor of Florida. Abandoned and destroyed in 1864.
History
Camp Milton was built out as a large Confederate earthworks defense west of Jacksonville to keep federal troops bottled up in Jacksonville. Camp Milton was eastern Florida headquarters for the Confederate States of America (CSA) and had the largest concentration of Confederate troops in Florida. The post held some 6,000 infantry, 1,500 cavalry; and 430 field pieces. In addition to the planned three miles of earthworks, there were officers barracks and a tent city.
The post was abandoned twice by Confederate troops and finally captured and destroyed by Union forces on 26 Jul 1864.
Current Status

Part of Camp Milton City Park, Duval County, Florida. Only a small portion of the earthworks are preserved and interpreted in the park.
|
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="30.33673" lon="-81.86574" zoom="15" width="-500" height="-500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png"> (C) 30.33673, -81.86574 Camp Milton (1862-1864) </googlemap> |
Location: Camp Milton City Park, Duval County, Florida. Lat: 30.33673 Long: -81.86574 Elevation: {{{3}}} ACME, Bing, Google
|
Sources:
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 187
Links:
Visited: 25 Feb 2012


