Battery Greene-Edgerton: Difference between revisions
m 1 revision imported |
en-gb>Unknown user No edit summary |
||
| Line 7: | Line 7: | ||
|- | |- | ||
|colspan="2"|[[File:Fort Adams Bty Greene-Edgerton - 1.jpg|795px|thumb|center|Battery Greene-Edgerton Interior]] | |colspan="2"|[[File:Fort Adams Bty Greene-Edgerton - 1.jpg|795px|thumb|center|Battery Greene-Edgerton Interior]] | ||
== [[Endicott Period]] == | == [[Endicott Period]] == | ||
| Line 31: | Line 30: | ||
No period guns or mounts in place. Mortar pits used for storage. No public access. | No period guns or mounts in place. Mortar pits used for storage. No public access. | ||
---- | ---- | ||
{{#display_map: | {{#display_map: | ||
41.472175,-71.339813~ {{PAGENAME}}<br>(1898-1942); | 41.472175,-71.339813~ {{PAGENAME}}<br>(1898-1942); | ||
| Line 42: | Line 39: | ||
{{Location|Fort Adams, Newport County, Rhode Island|41.472256|-71.340001}} | {{Location|Fort Adams, Newport County, Rhode Island|41.472256|-71.340001}} | ||
* Elevation: Pit A=18.3', Pit B=18.21', Pit C=18.1', Pit D=18.1' | * Elevation: Pit A=18.3', Pit B=18.21', Pit C=18.1', Pit D=18.1' | ||
'''Sources:''' | '''Sources:''' | ||
Revision as of 04:48, 8 August 2026
Battery Greene-Edgerton (1898-1942) - Battery Greene-Edgerton was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 12 inch coastal mortar battery on Fort Adams, Newport County, Rhode Island. The battery was initially named Battery Greene in G.O. 43, 4 Apr 1900, after MG Nathaniel Greene, Continental Army, a distinguished citizen of Rhode Island, who exercised important command under General Washington and in the Carolinas during the Revolutionary War. In 1906 the battery was administratively split into two batteries. The new half of the battery was named in G.O. 20, 25 Jan 1906, after Ltc. Wright P. Edgerton, professor, United States Military Academy, who died 24 Jun 1904. Battery construction started in September 1896, was completed in June 1898 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use in May 1898 at a cost of $ 63,350.00. Deactivated in 1942.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Narragansett Bay. Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal mortar battery with fifteen 12" M1890MI mortars and one 12" M1890 mortar, all mounted on M1896MI mortar carriages. The mortars were arranged into four mortar pits, each pit having four mortars. In 1906 the battery was administratively split into two batteries, each with two mortar pits. Pits A and B stayed as Battery Greene, pits C and D became pits A and B of Battery Edgerton. These two batteries were single-story batteries with the magazines and the guns on the same level. The magazines were located in front of the guns behind concrete walls. Shells and powder were wheeled from the magazine using shell carts. Telephone data booths were placed at the rear of each mortar pit to transfer azimuth and elevation information from the plotting room to the gunners. The firing data was written on blackboards with chalk and then hoisted out of the data booth into the view of the gunners who changed the mortar settings and fired on command.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||





